Following are goals that I will continue to champion on behalf of our students, along with my fellow Board Director colleagues:
- All students have equitable access to a Douglas County public school that promotes growth in their cognitive, physical, social and emotional needs and builds on their strengths.
- Academic expectations are clearly articulated and supported with an appropriate curriculum that includes content, scope and sequence.
- Every student has equitable opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills that will ensure performance at his/her highest individual potential.
- A diverse set of educational options are provided which enables students to pursue different post-secondary options (e.g. college, career and technology education, independent living, military or direct entrance into the workforce).
- Students graduate with acquired content and cultural knowledge, workforce readiness, interpersonal skills, civic responsibility, global awareness, independent living and an understanding of the essentials for health and wellness.
Outstanding Educators and Staff
- Quality educators and staff have been recruited, developed, supported, retained and celebrated.
- A positive, growth-oriented performance assessment system has been identified, adopted, and implemented.
- Research-based professional development opportunities are consistently provided, reflect best practices, allow for innovation, and promote
- lifelong learning.
- Communication between and among students, parents, community, educators and staff is frequent, collaborative, and helpful.
- Educators and staff are valued and given multiple opportunities for their voices to be heard.
Safe, Positive Culture and Climate
- A purposeful focus on creating a caring, safe, fun, supportive, and positive learning and working environment for all students, district employees, parents, and community is manifest throughout the district.
- There is clear evidence and a common understanding of the shared belief that all students can succeed when given a safe and caring learning environment. To that end:
- District employees, parents, and community work collaboratively, proactively and responsibly to ensure the psychological wellbeing of all students.
- A focused level of teamwork and professional development is on-going among district employees, community, and law enforcement agencies to ensure the physical safety of students, district employees and visitors.
- Behavior Expectations are clearly articulated, supported, and taught.
- Multiple communication systems are available and used by students, district employees, parents, and community to ensure all voices are heard.
Collaborative Parent, Family, and Community Relations
- Parents, guardians, families, and community members partner with each other and the District to empower students to maximize their individual educational experience.
- Collaboration with community, business, government, educational, and organizational leaders is sought to provide opportunities for students to create positive change and provide service in our community.
- Schools are the center of community learning, entertainment and gathering.
- Multiple effective pathways for communication are available to all parents, guardians, families, community members, and district employees and are conducted with respect and kindness.
- The Board of Education and all district employees are good stewards of the financial resources belonging to the district on behalf of students and taxpayers.
- All district funds and expenditures are handled equitably, efficiently, transparently, responsibly, and purposefully to maximize the benefit for all students.
- All district fiscal transactions are legal, ethical, and appropriate in keeping with district regulations and goals.
- Long-term financial stability and accountability has been established, maintained, and actively monitored in order to accomplish Board of Education End Goals.